Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
How to make it
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups of flour and the yeast. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, the 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the 1/4 cup butter, and the salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Then, add the egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that’s smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape the dough into a ball. Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
4. For filling, in a small mixing bowl, combine the 1/2 cup brown sugar, the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the 1/4 cup flour, and the cinnamon. Cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
6. Roll the dough into a 24×16-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with filling, apple, and nuts. Roll up from long side, jelly-roll style. Pinch to seal edge.
7. Prepare Caramel Syrup. Pour into baking pan. Cut dough, crosswise, into 12 rolls and place, cut sides down, into prepared pan. Cover and let rolls rise until nearly doubled (about 45 minutes).
8. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and rolls sound hollow when lightly tapped. (Place baking sheet under baking pan to catch any drips.) Invert onto serving plate while warm. Makes 12 rolls.